HUNDRED AND SIXTY-EIGHTH SESSION OF COUNCIL
19 September 2013
RESTRICTED AND CLOSED SESSIONS
DIRECTOR GENERAL'S REPORT
The Director-General gave an oral report on the following matters:
- Recent ground-breaking ceremonies at CERN
- Initiation of discussions regarding US involvement in HL-LHC - Inauguration of a new crèche on the CERN site
- First batch of radioactive waste released from regulatory control (Free Release) under the tripartite agreement on radiation protection
- Establishment of a Stakeholder Relations Office
- Forthcoming awards ceremonies
- UNESCO proposal for CERN to be granted world heritage status
- 2013 Open Days and LHC celebration
- Appointment of Professor C. Rubbia as Senator for Life in Italy
PREPARATION FOR CERN'S 60TH ANNIVERSARY
The Council heard a detailed presentation by Dr S. Schmeling, coordinator of the CERN 60th anniversary events.
The Council heard presentations on LS1 activities by the Head of the Technology Department, Dr F. Bordry, and on the LHC experiments and computing by the Director for Research and Computing, Dr S. Bertolucci.
CERN PENSION FUND
The Council heard an oral report by the Chairman of the Pension Fund Governing Board, Professor Riska, on the recent activities of the Governing Board and its subsidiary bodies and the year-to-date asset performance figures. On the occasion of Professor Riska’s final meeting of the Council in his capacity as PFGB Chairman, the President expressed warm gratitude to him on the Council’s behalf for his skilful leadership of the Board in recent years during a period of significant change for the Fund.
Amendment to the Agreement between CERN and the Republic of Cyprus concerning the granting of the status of Associate Membership as the Pre-stage to Membership at CERN - Extension of the deadline for internal approval of the Agreement by the Republic of Cyprus
The Council approved an amendment to the Agreement between CERN and the Republic of Cyprus concerning the granting of the status of Associate Membership as the Pre-stage to Membership at CERN delating to the extension of the deadline for internal approval of the Agreement by Cyprus and authorised its signature by the Director-General.
- Application for Associate Membership at CERN by the Government of the Russian Federation - Report by the fact-finding Task Force
The Council endorsed the report by the fact-finding Task Force on its visit to the Russian Federation and decided by consensus to authorise the Director-General to commence negotiations with a view to granting the Status of Associate Member State to the Russian Federation.
- Council Resolution concerning the admission of Ukraine as Associate Member State at CERN
The Council adopted a Resolution pertaining to the admission of Ukraine as Associate Member State of CERN, subject to the signature and entry into force of the corresponding Agreement, annexed to the Resolution.
- Application by Pakistan for Associate Membership
The Council took note of Pakistan’s application for Associate Membership and decided to establish a fact-finding Task Force to visit Pakistan and conduct investigations in accordance with the applicable procedure.
- Further developments
The Council heard a status report by the Director-General on his recent contacts with Brazil, the Dominican Republic, India, Slovenia, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.
PROPOSAL FOR AN INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AGREEMENT WITH COSTA-RICA
The Council approved the conclusion of an International Cooperation Agreement with Costa Rica.
- SPC Chairmanship
The Council unanimously elected Professor T. Nakada Chairman of the Scientific Policy Committee for one year with effect from 1 January 2014.