HUNDRED AND SEVENTIETH SESSION OF COUNCIL
20 March 2014
DIRECTOR GENERAL'S REPORT
The Director-General gave an oral report on the following matters:
- First contacts with the Japanese government regarding the ILC project
- Start-up of the SCOAP3 initiative
- VIP visits
- Science activities for schools
- Launch of fundraising activities and the CERN & Society Foundation
- Signing of the CERN/ESA Cooperation Agreement on 28 March 2014
- Proposal for funds to be provided by governments for cultural activities
DEVELOPMENTS IN THE MEMBER STATES RELEVANT FOR CERN
Delegations reported on the following matters:
- Kick-off of the 60th anniversary events in Poland
- Letter of support for the Swiss research community by the Conference of Belgian University Rectors
- Information by the Swiss delegation on the possible impact on CERN of the recent Swiss vote against mass immigration
- Information on progress in Belgium towards signing the CERN Protocol on Privileges and Immunities
The Council heard a status report on the shutdown activities by the Director for Accelerators and Technology, Dr Bordry, and congratulated all staff, users and external teams involved in the LS1 work for their dedication and flexibility which had been crucial to ensuring the excellent progress hitherto of the first long shutdown, which remains essentially on schedule.
The Council also heard a status report by the Director of Research and Computing, Dr Bertolucci, on the latest data analysis and upgrade plans of the LHC collaborations.
STATUS REPORT ON THE PREPARATION FOR CERN’S 60TH ANNIVERSARY
The Council heard an oral report by Dr S. Schmeling on events being organised at CERN and in the Member States to celebrate CERN’s sixtieth anniversary.
CERN PENSION FUND
The Council heard an oral report by the Chairman of the Pension Fund Governing Board, Dr T. Roth, on the activities of the Board and its Actuarial and Technical Committee since the December 2013 meetings of the Finance Committee and Council, aimed at finalising the periodic actuarial review and answering the questions posed by delegations on that occasion.
The Council also discussed a draft resolution on the Pension Fund which had been submitted by the Austrian delegation and circulated to delegations on 14 March 2014, and agreed to take up the matter again at its June Session on the basis of a new draft resolution, amended to take into account the views expressed by delegations during the discussion.
EUROPEAN STRATEGY MATTERS
The Council took note of the work plan for the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding between the European Commission and CERN for the period 2014-2015.
Council Resolution concerning the admission of the Republic of Turkey as Associate Member State of CERN
The Council took note of document CERN/3106/RA and of the introductory remarks by the Director-General and decided, by consensus, to adopt the Resolution set out therein admitting Turkey as Associate Member State according to the conditions defined in document CERN/2918/Rev. and subject to the signature and entry into force of the Agreement annexed to the Resolution.
The Council took note of information provided by the Director-General on recent developments in Brazil, Croatia, Cyprus, India, Ireland, Pakistan, Romania, Russia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
PROCEDURE FOR SELECTING AND APPOINTING THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF CERN: INITIATION OF THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
The Council decided to institute the Search Committee for the next Director-General of CERN, composed as follows:
- Professor R. Dijkgraaf, external member appointed by the Council,
- Professors M. Diemoz, K. Ellis, E. Elsen and B. Gavela, members elected by the Scientific Policy Committee,
- Professor A. Zalewska, President of Council
- Dr C. Césarsky, Vice-President of Council
- Professor W. Van Doninck, Vice-President of Council
- Professor T. Nakada, SPC Chair
- Ms C. Jamieson, FC Chair.
The Council further agreed upon the qualification profile, the text of the vacancy notice and the channels for publication of the vacancy notice for the next Director-General of CERN